Monday, October 7, 2013

Reality Television: Real or Unreal

Ohhh MTV, how you take up mine and many other teenagers life. We spend hours a day melting our brains watching this crap. But why? Well, because it is funny, it's entertaining and there's always a hot guy or girl for one to ogle at. One of my personal favorites is The Real World. This show has been going for longer than I have been alive. Take a group of people, put them in a house together and see what happens "when people stop being polite and start getting real". There's always good fights, heart break and much much more. What is this show really teaching us though? Well it's saying that it is "OK" to be drunk all the time, it's "OK" to be a slut (girl or guy) and it is saying that the worst repercussion of punching someone in the face is being kicked off the show. Some people may not be effected when watching this, some may just watch it for fun and I don't know if this is a direct correlation or not, but I'm starting to see more and more girls dressing inappropriately, more people going to parties and more fights. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S ALL WE SEE ON TV! Fights, sex, and good looking people make good TV.

Lets look at another one of my favorites shall we? Teen Mom. Let me just say, if I ever were to come home and tell my mother I was pregnant, I would not be getting my on TV show. Oh hell no. I'd would be getting an ass whooping and another job is what I'd be getting. Yes it is a good show to show teenagers the struggles of parenthood, however, I feel that it is setting a bad example.  A girl gets pregnant, and look at that! Fame and fortune are at her door step. I feel as though Teen Mom is condoning teen pregnancy. Yes, the kids are cute and yes we enjoy watching them grow and watching all the drama their parents go through but teen pregnancy is not something that should be condoned. Just like The Real World condoning sex, fights and drinking, Teen Mom is condoning teen pregnancy. So there's the dilemma...condone poor behavior for good TV shows, or discipline poor behavior and have bad TV shows. The struggle, it's real.




Good ol' Real World fight











Don't we all just love this Teen Mom... Janelle, missing her court date (for drugs) to go to a Kesha concert. Now that's someone we need on TV.

4 comments:

  1. A lot of TV shows like Teen Mom really do set a bad example for people who can't afford a baby. It also seems like all of the reality TV shows have somebody fighting somebody every other episode. It's all drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i agree teen mom sets a horrible example! She is pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fights, sex, and good looking people make good TV" This quote couldn't be more accurate. It's rather disturbing how our society glorifies these themes in shows such as The Real World, and how they keep coming back for more seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you said about teen mom. Having a baby in your teenage years is not positive! Good work!

    ReplyDelete